According to NBC Washington, the mother of 18-year-old stabbing victim Olijawon Emmanuel Griffin has been told by prosecutors in the case that charges may be reduced against six of the seven suspects charged in connection with her son’s death.
Griffin was fatally stabbed at the Woodley Park Metro station in November last year after he confronted a group who allegedly had robbed him of his cell phone and jacket minutes prior.
After an interview with Griffin’s mother, Lunette Griffin, reporters for NBC Washington wrote Monday:
Lunette Griffin said prosecutors told her they are considering reducing the charges against those teens.
“That’s a person’s life that they took and that was my baby,” Griffin said. “I cried and I cried and explained to them that it’s unfair.”
Myers is facing first degree murder charges. His trial starts in September.
“Everybody else would get manslaughter, which holds seven-and-a-half years to 15 years,” Griffin said. “Seven-and-a-half years for someone’s life… I think that’s unfair.”
Current court documents do not indicate that a plea agreement has been reached with any of the teens charged as adults in connection with Griffin’s death; a trial is scheduled to begin September 23.