Update: This post has been updated to reflect the identities of the victims.
Six people have been reported killed in the past 36 hours in Washington, DC.
- On Thursday at about 5 p.m., 17-year-old Jonathon Adams was found stabbed in the 4300 block of Halley Terrace, Southeast. He was taken to a local hospital where he died. On Friday, Jibril Abdul-Muwwakil was arrested on suspicion of second-degree murder while armed in connection with the case.
- Less than four hours later, at 8:30 p.m., Tykia Dickerson was found shot in the 3600 block of Jay Street, Northeast.
- Friday evening, two men were fatally shot outside a church in Northeast DC, about a mile and a half from where Dickerson was killed. The victims have been identified as brothers Khalid Jamal Bryant, 34, and Jason Emmanuel Bryant, 26.
- At about 3 a.m. Saturday, a man was found fatally shot in the 4800 block of 9th St Northwest. The victim has been identified as 51-year-old Billy Andre Harris of Northwest DC.
- Police found 46-year-old Andre McIntyre of Northwest DC suffering from head trauma just after midnight Saturday morning. He died at a local hospital.
These deaths bring the 2014 homicide count to 24. In the same period last year 12 people were killed.
Five of those killed this year have been women, representing about 22 percent of all the homicides. Last year, less than 11 percent of the victims were female.
Six of the victims have been under the age of twenty, five of them teenagers. A total of seven teens were killed last year.
Seven 2014 homicides have been closed by arrest.