Potential Suspect in Tykia Dickerson Murder Killed in Police-Involved Shooting

This links roundup will be updated throughout the day as we learn more. is complete. For future updates follow Tykia Dickerson’s page on Homicide Watch.

UPDATE 8:45 p.m:


UPDATE 2:41 p.m.: From MPD:

The suspect is identified as 19-year-old Daquan Hendrix from Hyattsville, Maryland. He was wanted in the homicide of 19-year-old Tykia Dickerson which occurred on February 27, 2014, in the 3600 block of Jay Street, NE.

UPDATE 1:05 p.m.: In a listserve message, MPD Chief Cathy Lanier thanked the community for their help in identifying the suspect:

Good afternoon all,

I wanted to take a moment and provide an update to you regarding the homicide case that was discussed at last week’s Deanwood meeting. We asked for your assistance in locating the suspect that was responsible for the February 27th, 2014 murder of 19 year old Tykia Dickerson, in the 3600 block of Jay Street, NE. This morning, members of our fugitive task force were able to locate the suspect in the unit block of K Street, NW. Unfortunately, the suspect opened fire on MPD police officers, who returned fire and killed the suspect.

While this is not the outcome we hoped for, we sincerely appreciate the support and assistance provided by the Sixth District community in bringing this case to closure.


A man suspected in the death of Tykia Dickerson has died after he fired a gun at police officers. MPD is expected to release his name later Tuesday.

Reports WUSA9:

According to Lanier, the department had received a tip indicating a suspect in a recent homicide was at a location in the unit block of K St. The regional area task force staked out the area at 6:15 a.m. Tuesday and eventually approached the house.

WUSA reports that the man was suspected in a February 27 homicide in the 3600 block of Jay St. Northeast. That’s where Dickerson was killed.

Reports CBS DC:

The suspect exited the home and opened fire on officers, according D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier. The man was shot by during the exchange of gunfire and pronounced dead a short time later.

No officers were injured in the shootout.

Lanier said others were inside the home at the time of the shooting were not injured.

blog comments powered by Disqus