Antonio Shaw pleaded innocent Friday to charges of second-degree murder while armed and carrying a dangerous weapon outside a home or place of business in connection to the 2013 stabbing death of Ernest Heart.
Hart was found by police on June 19, 2013 at approximately 9:30 p.m. in the 4600 block of Hillside Road Southeast suffering from a stab wound to the neck; he later died at the hospital.
According to police, 17-year-old Hart and 25-year-old Shaw were friends, and the stabbing stemmed from an argument over some chicken at a cookout.
Defense attorneys argue that Hart was the first aggressor and that Shaw tried to keep his distance from Hart during the argument as Hart advanced on Shaw.
During a preliminary hearing last year, Metropolitan Police Detective Norma Horne said, “Some words were exchanged and the argument escalated from there.”
Horne also said that according to witnesses, after Hart was stabbed, Shaw stood there for a few moments and watched Hart bleed out before fleeing the area.
Shaw was arrested a day later and has been held without bond awaiting trial.
A status hearing is scheduled for Aug. 29 at 10 a.m. in front of Judge Robert Morin.
Below, a copy of the indictment: