Two homicides were reported this week in D.C.:
- Delonta Lavale Martin, 22, was killed late Sunday evening in a shooting in the 4700 block of Minnesota Avenue Northeast. Police are looking for a black male with medium complexion, weighing 180-190 pounds, in connection with Martin’s death.
- A shooting in the 200 block of Savannah Street Southeast killed 25-year-old Anthony Williams early Saturday morning.
Police arrested Michael Gayle in Charlotte, North Carolina, in connection with the stabbing death of 31-year-old Eboni Domally. On July 2, MPD announced Gayle was considered a suspect in Domally’s death and asked for the public’s help to find him.
MPD has released a footage of a person of interest in the investigation of shooting death of Gold Corner Market owner James Oh. Police are seeking the public’s help in identifying a man seen by the store’s surveillance camera approximately two hours before the shooting.
Jurors began deliberating the case against Bernard Fleming and Joseph Peoples for the shooting death of Michael Jones. Before deliberations began, prosecutors dropped first-degree murder charges against the men.
Prosecutors agreed to dismiss charges against DeAndre Shaheed in exchange for his guilty plea to second-degree murder while armed in connection with the shooting death of Akinwole Olu Williams. Under the agreement, Shaheed is expected to be sentenced to 12 to 24 years in prison for the second-degree murder charge.
Shaheed’s former codefendants Floyd Neal and Lafeyette Robinson rejected plea offers Friday in connection with the shooting death of Akinwole Olu Williams. Prosecutors would have dropped Neal’s eleven charges and Robinson’s eight charges in exchange for Robinson’s guilty plea to conspiracy to commit armed robbery and Neal’s guilty plea to conspiracy to commit armed robbery and possession of a rifle.
Lillian Alvarado was again found competent to stand trial in connection with the death of her infant son. She will remain held at St. Elizabeths hospital until her next hearing on September 26.
The case against Robert Crowder was dismissed Friday when Judge Rhonda Winston granted prosecutors’ request to dismiss his charge. He had been held for more than nine months on suspicion of first-degree felony murder in connection with the stabbing death of 19-year-old Kelvin Jamal Willis.
Judge John Ramsey Johnson found probable cause Friday in the case against Lawrence Wilkerson in connection with the shooting death of Rhett Gelb. Police arrested Wilkerson after a witness who has since pleaded guilty in connection with Gelb’s death identified Wilkerson as the shooter.
Lawrence Wilkerson was arrested and ordered held in the May 2013 shooting death of 22-year-old Rhett Gelb.
The trial of Bernard Fleming and Joseph Peoples, accused of fatally shooting Michael Edward Jones, got underway with opening statements Tuesday. Prosecutors say Fleming and Peoples ambushed and shot at Jones and his brother, killing one and injuring the other.
A judge sentenced 23-year-old James Brown Friday to 18 months in prison for shooting Darnell Rivers after Rivers and another man kidnapped his brother for ransom.
Howard Randolph was sentenced to two years Friday for a fist fight that led to Rayshawn Hailstock’s death, after a single punch on June 30, 2013.
A judge ordered Kevin Boykins to remain in jail Friday in connection with the January shooting death of Kevin Larnard James after a preliminary hearing.
Five homicides were reported in D.C. this week:
- Alonzo Gregory Beasley, 52, was killed in a stabbing at 22nd and I Street Northeast on Sunday afternoon, according to MPD.
- DaShawn Hammonds, 23, was killed early Sunday morning in a shooting in the 1200 Block of Simms Place Northeast. Police officers found Hammonds unconscious and unresponsive at approximately 5:23 a.m.
- Michael Hrizuk, 57, died from injuries sustained in a beating that occurred in Northwest D.C. nearly two weeks earlier. Police have ruled his death was a homicide.
- MPD announced they are seeking the public’s help in identifying two persons of interest in the investigation into the murder of 76-year-old James Oh. Officers found Oh suffering from head trauma at approximately 5:19 p.m. on July 4 in the 5500 block of Colorado Avenue Northwest.
- The death of a man found beaten Sunday was ruled a homicide. Benjamin Jennings was found unconscious in the 1200 block of Bladensburg Road, Northeast shortly on July 6 and died the following evening.
Jurors found David Shepherd guilty of six criminal counts, including first-degree murder, in connection with the shooting death of Henry Charles Miller. During the five-day trial, prosecutors argued that evidence showed Shepherd intended to shoot Miller after an argument, but Shepherd took the stand to tell jurors it was self-defense.
Judge Jennifer Anderson sentenced David Jamal Wilson Friday to nine years in prison for the 2013 stabbing death of Howard Venable Jr. Wilson pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed in May.
Frank Lee Branding, suspected of involuntary manslaughter, was released into high-intensity supervision Friday. Police believe Blanding killed an unidentified man when he punched the man twice and drove away after the man asked him for money and threatened him.
Attorneys for Joseph Chandler announced he will not move forward with an insanity defense. Chandler, 76, is charged with second-degree murder while armed in connection with the shooting death of Shirley Tucker.