Five homicides were reported in D.C. this week:
- Alonzo Gregory Beasley, 52, was killed in a stabbing at 22nd and I Street Northeast on Sunday afternoon, according to MPD.
- DaShawn Hammonds, 23, was killed early Sunday morning in a shooting in the 1200 Block of Simms Place Northeast. Police officers found Hammonds unconscious and unresponsive at approximately 5:23 a.m.
- Michael Hrizuk, 57, died from injuries sustained in a beating that occurred in Northwest D.C. nearly two weeks earlier. Police have ruled his death was a homicide.
- MPD announced they are seeking the public’s help in identifying two persons of interest in the investigation into the murder of 76-year-old James Oh. Officers found Oh suffering from head trauma at approximately 5:19 p.m. on July 4 in the 5500 block of Colorado Avenue Northwest.
- The death of a man found beaten Sunday was ruled a homicide. Benjamin Jennings was found unconscious in the 1200 block of Bladensburg Road, Northeast shortly on July 6 and died the following evening.
Jurors found David Shepherd guilty of six criminal counts, including first-degree murder, in connection with the shooting death of Henry Charles Miller. During the five-day trial, prosecutors argued that evidence showed Shepherd intended to shoot Miller after an argument, but Shepherd took the stand to tell jurors it was self-defense.
Judge Jennifer Anderson sentenced David Jamal Wilson Friday to nine years in prison for the 2013 stabbing death of Howard Venable Jr. Wilson pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter while armed in May.
Frank Lee Branding, suspected of involuntary manslaughter, was released into high-intensity supervision Friday. Police believe Blanding killed an unidentified man when he punched the man twice and drove away after the man asked him for money and threatened him.
Attorneys for Joseph Chandler announced he will not move forward with an insanity defense. Chandler, 76, is charged with second-degree murder while armed in connection with the shooting death of Shirley Tucker.
Rasdavid Lagarde pleaded innocent to eight criminal charges Friday, including first-degree murder while armed, in the shooting death of Omar Sykes. Sykes, a Howard University student, was killed around 11:30 p.m. on July 4, 2013.
Judge Rhonda Winston sentenced Andre Burks Thursday to 15 years in prison for the fatal shooting of Antwan Boseman, which also wounded another man. Burks pleaded guilty to second-degree murder while armed and assault with a deadly weapon on June 2.
Malik Bilal was arrested and held on suspicion of second-degree murder while armed in connection with the death of Alonzo Gregory Beasley. Charging documents say a witness told police that Beasley and Bilal had been arguing for the past two days.
Judge Rhonda Reid Winston denied David Warren a new trial Monday with an order signed in her chambers. Judge Winston also amended Warren’s sentence on an armed carjacking charge by adding three years to the total in order to meet minimum sentencing standards.